Fidest – Agenzia giornalistica/press agency

Quotidiano di informazione – Anno 34 n° 151

Why saving American democracy starts with the Republicans

Posted by fidest press agency su lunedì, 3 gennaio 2022

Our last cover of 2021 assesses the state of the Republican Party nearly a year after the Capitol riots and ahead of the mid-term elections in November. Americans are anxious about the stability of their democracy. Roughly 40% of politically active people say that members of the other tribe are evil; 60% believe they are a threat to the country. Pundits routinely talk about the decay of political life. Some have gone so far as to warn of the risk of civil war. America’s political sickness became terrifyingly apparent after the attack by Trump supporters on the Capitol. Today, fully 70% of Republican voters still believe that the presidential election in 2020 was stolen. Extreme partisanship and the Republican Party’s denial about the election make a dangerous combination. Yet easily lost in the daily diet of outrage is a fundamental truth about two-party politics: Democrats and Republicans need each other for the system to function. Renewal therefore must flow through the Republican Party. That will be hard—but not as hard as the cata­strophists would have it. Zanny Minton Beddoes Editor-In-Chief The Economist

Rispondi

Inserisci i tuoi dati qui sotto o clicca su un'icona per effettuare l'accesso:

Logo di WordPress.com

Stai commentando usando il tuo account WordPress.com. Chiudi sessione /  Modifica )

Foto Twitter

Stai commentando usando il tuo account Twitter. Chiudi sessione /  Modifica )

Foto di Facebook

Stai commentando usando il tuo account Facebook. Chiudi sessione /  Modifica )

Connessione a %s...

 
%d blogger hanno fatto clic su Mi Piace per questo: